Sunday, April 01, 2007

Birthday Salutations

It’s April first, so you know what that means! It’s Dale’s birthday. So to Dale, we say to you: have a happy, happy birthday! We are grateful to have you in our midst. Plus we need someone in the family who can pull of the goatee look. You do it well – one of your many talents!

2 comments:

Dale Jones said...

It's funny that you mention Dale's goatee, because he was just thinking of shaving it off. Now he won't consider it, knowing what an impact it has in our family.

Since Pam related a story about how they met, I will contribute one as well. Did you know that Dale and I actually met at BYU? We were 15 and it was Education Week. He and his cousin were going around the Wilkinson Center asking people for spare change, hoping to score enough to buy some snacks. I remember he was tall and quiet, probably the mastermind behind the plan. I was with my friend Crysta, and some of her cousins. We talked to them for a few minutes and then asked them to sign our schedule books.

A few years later, after we had met for real at MCC, we were both at a friend's house and the topic of conversation somehow got steered toward Education Week. He started telling the story of how he and his cousin were bumming change off people that time, and all of a sudden I remembered that I'd been there and met him. By sheer coincidence, I had that very Education Week schedule in my car at the time (I'd been using the notebook I'd bought that year at BYU for notetaking during our Institute class, and the schedule was still inside). I flipped through the schedule until I found his signature. His handwriting is still the same, fifteen years later.

Anyway, happy birthday to Dale. He is the big 3-0 today.

Love, Emily

Scott said...

I did not know that! That's awesome, kind of like Lost, but in a happy, cool way! Thanks for sharing.